For the Mizuma Pesto:
• 2 cups mizuna leaves, roughly chopped
• 2 tbs pine nuts
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• ½ tsp wasabi paste
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper, cracked
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little for drizzling
The Main ingredients
• 4 large fresh scallops
• A drizzle of vegetable oil (or olive)
• 1 packet of Hakubaku Organic Soba
• 1 cup arugula leaves (rocket)
• 1 ½ tbsp. of your mizuna pesto (see above)
• 1 spring onion, finely chopped
Seared Scallops, Mizuna Pest & Soba – Merit Autumn 2016
1. Make the mizuna pesto by putting all the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blending until smote. This will make about 2/3 of a cup. Transfer to a plastic container, drizzle over some olive oil to cover the surface, replace the lid and refrigerate. It will last about one week.
2. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Split the scallops in half horizontally, brush with oil, season lightly and grill for about 30 seconds on each side then transfer to a plate to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the Soba noodles and stir to separate the strands. When the water returns to a boil and begins to rise to the top, add a small glass of cold water and let it return to a boil for the third time. Drain and rinse under hot, running water and drain well again,
4. Put the Soba back into the same saucepan which should still be warm and add the arugula leaves and pesto and stir.
5. Divide the Soba between two serving plates and put the scallops on top, garnish with the scallions and serve.