Hiyashi Chuka – Japanese Cold Ramen
SERVES: 3 DIFFICULTY: Medium COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
When the warmer months appear, this should also appear on your dinner table
300ml Asian Chicken Stock
30 ml Sesame Oil
60 Soy Sauce
60 g White Miso Paste
20 g Sugar
25 g White Sesame, crushed
25 g Ginger, grated
2 tbsp Spring Onion, chopped
200 g Chicken Breast
Salt and Pepper to season
270g Hakubaku Organic Ramen
2 7cm chunks of Cucumber, peeled and julienne
200 g Bean Sprouts, blanched and ice-bathed
1 Corn cob, cooked, kernels sliced in sheets
250g Tomato, in 5mm slices
200g Iceberg Lettuce, sliced thinly
- In a medium pot, combine soup ingredients and bring to boil. Cool to room temperature, then place in fridge until cold.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Wrap in plastic wrap and cook in microwave until cooked through (approx. 90 seconds depending on size of chicken breast). Cover and cool in fridge until cold. Slice into thin sheets and julienne.
- Whisk eggs until reasonable runny. In a fry pan, cook thin sheets of omelette. Once cooled to room temperature, julienne.
- Blanch bean sprouts and cool in ice bath. Drain.
- Prepare Ramen noodles as per pack instructions. Cool in ice bath. Drain well.
In 3 bowls, divide Ramen. Place the garnish ingredients on top of the Ramen in colourful triangles radiating out from the centre. Ladle cold soup over the top and serve.