Hakubaku’s Toshikoshi Soba Salad
SERVES: 4 DIFFICULTY: Medium COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
Soba should always be eaten on New Year’s Eve to bring in a new and prosperous year and see off the old year.
270g Hakubaku Organic Soba noodles
1 Barbeque chicken, shredded
1 bunch Asparagus
2 tbsp Sesame seeds, toasted
8 tbsp Chilli Soy sauce, recipe below
Chilli Soy Sauce
4 tbsp Mirin
1/2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Brown vinegar
3/4 tsp Chilli, from a jar, or to taste
1/4 tsp Ginger, from a jar or to taste
Juice of one lemon, add gradually to taste
1 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
3 1/4 tbsp good Soy sauce
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp oil, vegetable or canola
To make Chilli Soy Sauce
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well, or place in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well.
To make the Salad
1. Cook noodles as per packet directions. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
2. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes, then plunge into cold water.
3. Cut asparagus spears into short lengths on an angle.
4. Toss chicken, asparagus and sesame seeds through the noodles.
5. Dress with Chilli Soy sauce.
Eat on New Year’s Eve to move away from the hardships of the old year and to enter the new year afresh.