Grilled scallops with daikon and cold Somen noodle sauce
SERVES: 4 DIFFICULTY: Medium
A little effort will really give you the ‘WOW’ factor
90g Hakubaku Somen noodles (cooked)
16 Scallops in half shell
½ cup Daikon (sliced into matchsticks 4 cm long and very thin)
3 tbsp Unsalted butter
16 Coriander sprigs
Cold noodle sauce
1 cup Dashi
1/3 cup Mirin
1/3 cup Dark soy
2 tbsp Chopped dried shrimp
1. Carefully remove the scallops from the half shells. Set the scallops aside and boil the shells for 1 minute. Dry and lay out onto 4 plates.
2. To make the sauce, bring to a boil the dashi, Mirin, soy and chopped shrimp, turn down and simmer for 6 minutes. Strain and cool.
3. Place a small amount of the Somen noodles onto each scallop shell and top with a little of the finely cut daikon.
4. Place the butter into a pre-heated grill pan. When it starts to foam, add the scallops and cook each side for 1 minute.
5. Place a scallop onto each shell, spoon some of the cold sauce over each and finish with a coriander sprig.