Cold Spicy Somen
SERVES: 2 DIFFICULTY: Easy COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
When you are looking for a cold dish that still has a bit of heat
- 180g Hakubaku Organic Somen noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 dried chillies, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 cm cube ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- shallots, fried – for garnish
- Cook 2 x 90 grams bundles of Somen as per packet instructions. Keep the cold drained noodles aside.
- In a small dry pan add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat. Once hot, reduce temp to low and immediately add:
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- The white part of the spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 dried chillies chopped finely
- 1cm cube of ginger chopped finely
- When all ingredients in fry pan are soft and aromatic remove from heat and add:
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mirin
- Set mixture aside and allow to cool. When mixture is cool toss the cold noodles with the sauce.
- Slice the dark green part of the spring onion and add to noodles, and toss again.
- Divide between two plates and garnish with fried shallots.