SERVES: 4 DIFFICULTY: Medium COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
It’s fun to watch the kiri mochi puff up as it cooks
- 270 g Hakubaku Organic Udon
- 4 pieces Kiri Mochi
- 4 x 3 slices Kamaboko
- 2 Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Litre Water
- Dashi powder
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- Salt, to taste
- Bonito flakes
- Prepare Udon as per packet directions. Drain, rinse, drain again and set aside.
- Put the water, soup base, soy sauce, sake, mirin, and salt in a pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Pan-fry mochi gently for about 3 minutes each side or so until lightly browned or bake in a toaster oven until it puffs up and becomes light brown.
- Refresh Udon in boiling water, drain and divide between three bowls.
- Pour broth over Udon and garnish with the toasted Mochi, kamaboko, bonito flakes and spring onions.
Enjoy the Chikara Udon!