½ cup rice wine
½ cup sugar
½ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
3 tbsps mirin
3 tbsps rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsps grape seed oil
500 g chicken breast, poached* & shredded
270 g Hakubaku Organic Soba Noodles
250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 asparagus bunch, blanched & thinly sliced
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, julienned
2 tbsps toasted sesame seeds
Garnish micro herbs
Chicken, Pickled Mushroom & Soba Salad
Prep Time 30mins Cook Time 10mins, 2 hours pickling
1. Pickled mushrooms: place vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ginger & 250 ml of water in a
medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until sugar has dissolved, taking care not to let
it boil. Add mushrooms & turn off the heat. Transfer mushrooms & liquid to a bowl. Leave
to pickle for at least 2 hours then drain.
2. Mirin dressing: whisk ingredients in a bowl.
3. Prepare soba as per pack instructions.
4. In a large bowl, add chicken, soba, tomatoes, asparagus, red onion, spring onion & sesame
seeds. Pour over half of the dressing & mix well.
5. Serve on a large platter & scatter half the pickled mushrooms & garnish. Serve remaining
dressing & pickled mushrooms on the side.
*Chicken Poaching Tip: approx 45 mins, includes rest time
Place 1 L of water and 30g of sliced ginger in a large shallow pan and bring to the boil. Decrease heat to a simmer. Add 500g free range chicken breast, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat, cool chicken in the poaching liquid for up to 30 minutes.
Storage Tip: Pickled mushrooms can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.