Chicken & Mushroom Ankake Udon
SERVES: 3 DIFFICULTY: Medium COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
Dividing a soup and thickening one part makes for a delicious meal!
1200 ml Dashi Stock
100ml Soy Sauce
100 ml Mirin
20 ml Cooking Sake
400g Chicken Breast, sliced
8 Fresh Shitake mushroom, sliced
1 tbsp potato starch
150g Shimeji mushrooms, lightly shredded
150g Enoki mushrooms,
270g Hakubaku Organic Udon
2 Spring Onions
Mizuna Leaf (if available)
Togarashi, to taste
- Cut the green part of the spring onion into 5-6cm lengths. Slice each piece vertically half way and flatten each layer of sheets. Julienne as thinly as possible. Place in an ice bath until onions curl. Strain and leave aside.
- In a saucepan, add soup ingredients and heat to boiling point. Reduce heat. Remove half the soup to a jug.
- Add chicken and mushrooms to saucepan. Cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Skim the surface to remove scum from top of the soup.
- Create a slurry by mixing 1 tbsp water and the potato starch to a smooth paste in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsp of the hot soup to the slurry, stirring to combine, then add the warmed slurry to the saucepan, stirring in to thicken the soup.
- Prepare udon noodles, as per pack instructions
- Divide Udon into 3 bowls. Fill each bowl half way with un-thickened soup from the jug. Then pour over thickened soup. Garnish with spring onion, mizuna leaf and togarashi.